Physical Education at Ashfield Valley
"Physically educated persons are those who have learned to arrange their lives in such a way that the habitual physical activities they freely engage in make a distinctive contribution to their wider flourishing."
The Value of PE within our Curriculum
Our vision at Ashfield Valley is that every child leads a healthy, active lifestyle and displays confidence and interest in exercise and sports, both in and outside of school. To display values such as fairness and respect through competitive sports and have the desire to succeed in physically demanding activities.
At Ashfield Valley, we ensure that the curriculum and teaching of PE develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. Pupils are encouraged to be ambitious and have a respectful and resilient approach to PE and sport, which ensure high achievement for all pupils including disadvantaged pupils and those with SEND. Pupils will have the essential skills and knowledge to build upon and prepare them for the next stage, this in turn:
- Enable all learners to develop and explore skills with increasing control and coordination.
- Provide opportunities for the learner to improve the quality and control of their performance.
- Encourage the learners to work and play as a team in a range of group situations.
- Improve the quality and control of their performance, applying rules for different activities.
- Teach learners how to recognise and describe how their bodies feel during exercise.
- Develop the learner’s understanding in how to succeed in a range of physical activities, and how to evaluate their own success.
- Support the learner’s in becoming team player and how to make effective decisions as part of that team.
- Develop the learner’s enjoyment of physical activity through creativity and imagination.
The children will be taking part in some new and exciting sports from September and we are hoping to compete in some competitions!