Geography at Ashfield Valley
‘Every child has the chance to explore, investigate and develop a continually evolving knowledge and understanding of our world today and for the future.’
The Value of Geography within our Curriculum
At Ashfield Valley we believe that developing a love for learning in Geography is crucial and we do this, by inspiring curiosity and providing children with the essential skills and knowledge to build upon and prepare them for the next stage, this in turn:
- Supports the learner’s understanding of the process of change, the diversity of societies, people’s lives and the challenges that have been faced and overcome in their society and the wider world.
- Provides them with the skills to think critically, justify and reason their own judgements using logical rational and evidence, allowing them to question, debate and discuss information, not just accept what they are told.
- Develops the understanding that the objectivity and reliability of all knowledge can be questioned as they are socially constructed.
- Allows learners to understand the diversity of the world and the people in it, thus allowing them to understand more about their own identity as a member of society.
- Enables the learner to understand core concepts and most notably cause and consequence, similarity and difference, continuity and change, change and progress/regression, significance, evidence, chronology, empathy, context, diversity, perspective, interconnectivity and validity which have broad relevance and significance in the modern world.